Unique Student Identifier
The USI is a component of the VET Reform Agenda and will assist the continued development of transparency in the VET sector. It will help build a consistent, national system for the storage of training information and will assist in quality assurance and future growth. The USI initiative will serve as a building block for a range of VET reforms by providing accurate and comprehensive information about students' training achievements and movements within the VET system. Students, training organisations, employers, and governments will all benefit from the USI in some way.
From the 1st of January 2015 if you are undertaking a nationally recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.
A USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters. It will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5. A USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.
When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that you will have easy access to your training records and results throughout your life. You can access your USI account online from a computer, tablet or smart phone anywhere and anytime.
What is the Unique Student Identifier (USI)
Unique Student Identifier (USI) is a new ID/reference number that students will carry with them for the rest of their lives. The USI Number is reference to your account that is linked to the National Vocational Education and Training (VET) Data Collection register allowing an individual to see all of their training results from all providers including all completed training units and qualifications.
The USI will make it easier for students to find and collate their VET achievements into a single authenticated transcript. It will also ensure that students' VET records are not lost.
Do you need a USI?
All students as of 2015 will need a USI reference number/account when enrolling or re-enrolling in any nationally recognised qualification. Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked and you will be able to:
- view and update your details in your USI account;
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript;
- control access to your transcript; and
- view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
Benefits of the USI:
- Students can seamlessly link information about your VET achievements, regardless of where you have studied.
- Enable students to easily access secure digital transcripts of their achievements
- Give students access to, and more control over, their educational information
- students can obtain a complete record of their VET enrolments and achievements from a single online source.
- students will be able to provide training providers with access to an online authenticated record of their qualifications/testamur attainment. This will assist with the recording of enrolment details and will help to streamline the assessment of course:
- credit transfer, and
- assist in the assessment of eligibility for funding assistance.
How to get a USI
- It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online. While you may create your own USI, Impact Training Institute will create the USI record for you during the enrolment process.
- The following steps show how you can create a USI:
- Step 1 Have at least one and preferably two forms of ID ready from the list below:
- ƒ Driver’s Licence
- ƒ Medicare Card
- ƒ Australian Passport
- ƒ Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for international students
- ƒ Birth Certificate (Australian)
- ƒ Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- ƒ Citizenship Certificate
- ƒ Immi Card
- IMPORTANT: To make sure we keep all of your training records together, the USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI. The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.
- Step 2 Have your personal contact details ready (e.g. email address, or mobile number, or address).
- Step 3 Visit the USI website at: usi.gov.au.
- Step 4 Select the ‘Create a USI’ link and follow the steps.
- Step 5 Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Step 6 Follow the instructions to create a USI – it should only take a few minutes. Upon completion, the USI will be displayed on the screen. It will also be sent to your preferred method of contact.
- Step 7 You should then write down the USI and keep it somewhere handy and safe.
- Student Information for the Unique Student Identifier – Australian Government Department of Industry